The AST 1 is an introductory level course. The AST 2 course will provide an intermediate and advanced level decision- making framework that is based on the most advanced up to date knowledge available. AST 1 courses are two days, and the AST 2 is one evening plus 3 full days. Both include one day with a snowcat-assisted ski tour, and the AST 2 also incorporates a day of guided ski touring and coached decision-making in the backcountry, generally at Kootenay Pass.
Course Fee: $270
Nov 26-27, 2021
Nov 28-29, 2021
Dec 12-13, 2021
Dec 17-18, 2021
Dec 19-20, 2021
Dec 23-24, 2021
Jan 2-3, 2022
Jan 16-17, 2022
Keith has been teaching avalanche courses to students all over North America for the past 30 years. He is a Professional member of the Canadian Avalanche Association and a member of the Canadian Ski Guide Association. Big Red Cats has been operating AST courses with Keith out of Rossland for many years, and he is literally the person who wrote the book on avalanche safety. Co-wrote.
Keith does do some guiding for BRC, but in recent years mostly sticks to ski touring and AST instruction. His website is www.kootenayavalanchec
Mike is one of BRC's guides, and is also a member of CAA and CSGA. He can be contacted via his Facebook page. If you have a group of 6-8 and you'd like to set up a private course, or tailor a course for your group (such as spreading the AST1 over 3 days, and incorporating two field days and more snowcat skiing), get in touch with him or send us an email as dates are very flexible in December and January, and possible during some dates in February.
AST Level 1 Sample Outline
(All times and locations subject to change)
First Day Classroom/Field Session
- Meet at classroom in Rossland
- Introduction to AST
- Group avalanche initiative exercise
- Course Curriculum, including Types of
- Avalanches, Terrain, Snow Science, Avaluator
- v2, Companion Rescue
- Field practice of Beacon Searching, Probing,and Apex Shovel Technique
- Equipment for Backcountry Touring
- Review plans for tomorrow’s tour
- Homework – review course textbook & print
- CAA Avalanche Bulletin
- Conclude Session
Second Day Field Session
- Carpool to BigRedCats staging area. Leave vehicle(s) near Nancy Greene Summit.
- Ride snowcat to shoulder of Mt. Crowe between Crowe and Neptune
- Ski down below the east face of Mt. Crowe, terrain analysis, human factors
- Skin up to summit of Mt. Crowe, snow stability evaluation, Avaluator v2
- Ski down to highway, group travel, human factors, companion rescue exercise
- Pick up vehicles and return to Red Shutter
- Course review, presentation of certificates, course evaluations
1700 AST Level 1 Course Concludes
AST 2 Course
The AST 2 Course includes one evening and three full days of instruction. It is a prerequisite to take the AST 1 or have equivalent education with prior instructor approval. The field sessions include backcountry touring in multiple locations and more advanced classroom/fieldwork.
Other dates and custom courses may be available upon request. For more information, please contact Keith at